The Battle For Crete

A Trip to the Battlefield - September 2001

Crete in Allied hands was a valuable air base for raids on Axis targets in Southern Europe, or to support the Balkan front. The Allied forces consisted of 30,000 British troops, 11,000 Greek troops encumbered by 15,000 Italian prisoners of war.  Hardware was scarce with only 16 light tanks and 49 field guns. The core of the force was made up of the 6th Australian Division and the 2nd NZ Division. 

Crete in axis hands meant that the Allied bases in the eastern meditterranean, and the use of the Suez Canal, could be exposed to greater pressure from the Luftwaffe. The attack by Fliegerkorps X1 and V111 would be the biggest German paratrooper assault of the war. The two corps had at their disposal about 500 transport aircrafts, 150-dive bombers, 180 fighters and 40 reconnaissance planes. There were 22,750 men - 75 by glider, 10.000 by parachute, 5,000 by transport aircraft and 7,000 by sea. The first attack was Maleme with a second at Rethimo and Heraklion.

The key to the success of the German "Operation Mercur" was the strategically important airfield at Maleme "Point 107" which overlooked it. On May 21st, the day after the initial assault the airfield fell and a British counter attack was repulsed by the defending German paratroopers.

Me at Point 107, Maleme

Maleme Airfield is now used by the Greek Airforce but it is possible to get a panoramic view from the German cemetery which is located on top of a hill known asPoint 107. The cemetery contains 4,466 fallen German servicemen.

The CWGC cemetery at Suada Bay

On May 24th, General Ringel organised his forces for the main German attack. Withdrawal of the British 5th Brigade allowed the completion of a defensive line from Staliana to Khania. After an unsuccesful attack on the 25th May, the Germans eventually entered Perivolia and Galaria. General Freyburg ordered the final withdrawal to Sfakia. The Germans learnt of the proposed allied evacuation and entered Chania on May 27th, gaining control of Suada Bay where there is now a stunningly situated CWGC cemetery. 

Above - A barbed wire picket post propping up a fence at the cafe next to the Suada Bay CWGC cemetery. Below - A pill box on the beach east of Maleme.

The British fought a last rearguard action north of the White Mountains during the final week of May and on the 28th the British evacuated Heraklion. Overnight on May 29th/30th the British rearguard maintained the Stafkia beach-head. The Rethimo garrison was obliged to surrender to the germans and the last British evacuations were made on the 31st May.

Examining the wreck of a ME110

 Back to Battlefield Visits Index